After branching off from Chrysler in 1954, Imperial became its own distinct brand. With the release of the 1955 models, Imperial began to establish its own identity. The ’55 Imperials, designed by the renowned Virgil Exner, were truly remarkable. They boasted full-length waistline trim, a striking ‘egg-crate’ front grille adorned with the Imperial eagle crest, and daring ‘gun sight’ taillights exclusive to the brand.
Built on the Chrysler New Yorker platform, the Imperial featured the renowned 331 cubic-inch Fire Power V8 engine with hemispherical cylinder heads for enhanced performance. Power-assisted steering and power-operated brakes were standard across all Imperial models.